Thursday, April 3, 2008

Squee Buddies

Sometimes it's hard to know when to get involved. Even if someone has good intentions, they might not be thought of as such by the other person. I know. I have been officially dubbed a Squee Buddy by my friend Amy. According to Amy, a Squee Buddy is a highly ranked position, and anyone bearing this title must be of great importance, for they alone are a confidont and advisor. I give her advice, and sometimes, just listen patiently while she vents.

That's what a Squee Buddy is for.

I will get involved in a situation if the other person a) asks for help, b) deserves a second opinion, or c) needs a wake up call. I do not tend to jump down people's throats telling them what they should and should not do. But if my friend is in danger, or compromising someone else, then it is time to let them take a break and let someone else take the reins.

It's hard when two friends fight. It gets harder when a third friend picks sides. So, to keep things from boiling over, I listen to each side of the story, and try to form a solution with both people in mind. I always tell my friends, "I won't get involved if you don't want me to." That gives them the freedom to make their own desicions, but also the knowledge that they are not alone. It usually works.

Some people get involved when there really isn't a need. Rumors spread, and tempers flare. It could all so easily be avoided, if people would just lsiten and practice a little patients. Some people use drama for adrenaline, I think. They don't have anything to worry about, so they create something. I know these people must have Squee Buddies too, but I often wonder if people are so bent on revenge that we've forgotten what peace is all about.

Sometimes it's hard being a Squee Buddy, but listening comes nautally to me, so it's not that bad. I think that people forget how much bonding can be done through struggling through life together. I'm glad I can help my friends when I can, because I know they would do the same for me in a heart beat.

That's what a Squee Buddy is for.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Your friends are lucky to have you as a squee buddy! Where did the word squee come from? Very thoughtful post.

20/20 points.