Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Assignment Question One---Answered

Immigration today seems to be just as touchy as it was when the English came to the Americas. As we know, the English settlers came to the New World to seek religious freedom, not to mention freedom from the King's reign. Although immigrants may not be comming to the US to escape a monarchy, many do come from places where the high officials are corrupt. Many Cubans try to escape from the tyranical Fidel Castro, and some do make it to American shores undetected. Impoverished citizens of Mexico come here seeking a better life for themselves and their families.Everyone would love to live in the richest country in the world, but it comes at a price. For a Non-English speaker, simply adjusting to the complex format of English is a burden. Many fear deportation, and therefore put up with just about anything to live in this country. The act of leaving family and friends behind is painful.

I was lucky enough to be born a citizen, and I did not have to escape from anywhere to anything. But, if I had been born in some other country, it there would be several reasons why I might leave and come to America:
If I were in a place such as Haiti, where poverty and crime rule the lives of everyone, I would try to go to America for financial reasons. I would go there so my family and I could eat, and not sleep on the ground.
If I lived ina place such as Cuba or the Middle East, I would come to the US in search of freedom, far away from the harsh leaders that take chrge of the country.

2 comments:

carrie said...

Your first response is wonderful, and your details make your argument sound. Your second response is a bit off topic. You are supposed to tell me where you might immigrate today and why.

Well written and defended. 18/20 points.

You are a talented writer!

Tipporah said...

Hey Faith, my name is Tipporah and i agree with your decision on being an American citizen. I would choose to stay here in America as well because we have many advantages that other countries don't have. I like the fact that you gave great example on why you wouldn't leave our country.